And it's about time!
Blogs and blogging have always been about providing an open avenue to thought, thought challenging, entertainment, education, and unfettered opinion on any number of topics.
In the Navy the USNI (and Proceedings) are keystones to intellectual expression and challenge. Well now they join the blogosphere, with their own creatively named, "Naval Institute Blog" [http://blog.usni.org/].
It looks like they are starting out on the right foot recruiting our own occasional author, "Steeljaw Scribe" as one of the regular contributors. Good pick that one... and also contributing are some rather respected names, including:
- Admiral Jim Stavridis, an Annapolis graduate with a PhD in international relations from Tufts University. (Admiral Stavridis’ Blog)
- Admiral Thad W. Allen, Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard
- Chap Commander Chapman Godbey, USN is a foreign area officer on active duty with enlisted, submarine, expeditionary strike group, and staff experience.
- CDR Salamander A warfare qualified, active duty officer (CDR Salamander’s Blog)
- Defense Springboard is an academic who began engaging in national security debates as a doctoral student in Biomedical Sciences at Harvard University. (Defense Springboard’s Blog)
- Eagle1 is an attorney and a retired Navy Reserve Captain (Surface Warfare). (www. eaglespeak.us.)
- Eric Wertheim is a defense consultant, columnist and author specializing in naval and air force issues.
- Frogman is a former Marine Corps Captain who spent fours years as a Force Reconnaissance Platoon and Detachment Commander.(Marine Corps Law Enforcement Foundation)
- Galrahn is an alias for Raymond Pritchett. Raymond is a technologist, entrepreneur, and owns a technology consulting company in upstate New York. (Information Dissemination)
- Peter Stinson is the publisher of, and a primary contributor to, An Unofficial Coast Guard Blog. He is a strong proponent of the use of web tools to improve organizational and personal performance and has helped propel the Coast Guard into the social media milieu. (Peter Stinson’s web presence)
- Jim Dolbow is a writer, Coast Guard Reserve Officer, and former defense staffer on Capitol Hill. (Jim Dolbow’s Blog)
- And... Once again... Steeljaw Scribe is a senior defense consultant and retired Navy Captain. A former Hawkeye squadron CO, he has over 3,000 hours and 500-plus traps in the E-2C and several other aircraft. With additional duties and experience spanning from CVN navigator to Special Assistant to the CNO for Joint Matters and operations from the Arctic to the Middle East and South America, he brings a unique perspective to his writing with interests focused on naval and aviation operations and history, nuclear strategy and policy issues and missile defense. SJS, as he is known in the blogging world since 2006, is a graduate of The Citadel, Naval War College and Naval Postgraduate School, holding a Master’s in National Security Studies from the latter. He has published articles in several periodicals and is presently working on two books. Steeljaw Scribe’s Website
Congrats SJS and the rest of you longtime bloggers, nice to get noticed by one of the stalwarts of progressive Naval thought, fair winds and following seas...
I have added the Naval Institute Blog to the Navy Blogosphere headline widget in the left column of the Daily Briefing for yon gentel reader's ease of access, when you see a headline you're interested in, simple click and low you are delivered...