99 Tailhookers! Tmurf sends…
The summer is flying by and we are only six weeks away from Reno! I know many of you are making your final preparations for Reno and I wanted to pass along some info for you to keep in mind while you prepare. Here goes:
1. The Nugget is essentially sold out. There are a few rooms left in the Courtyard and the occasional room becomes available when folks are adjusting travel schedules, so it is always worthwhile to call the Nugget and check for yourself. The primary back-up hotel is the Grand Sierra Resort (GSR).
The GSR has a Tailhook rate and is really starting to fill up. I checked today and there are still plenty of rooms available. There is a shuttle between the GSR and the Nugget but, if forced into a cab, the fare isn't that bad (I am speaking from personal experience over the last few years).
The GSR has recently completed a massive renovation and is a great hotel.
GSR: https://resweb.passkey.com/go/AIL13 (800) 648-5080
Reunion Registration is here LINK
2. I have received several questions from folks regarding airlifts, particularly during the Tailhook Mentorship Day in Pensacola. Airlifts have not been officially ruled out, but I feel it would be prudent in these challenging financial times to make you travel reservations today on your own. I recommend selecting the option to cancel your reservations if an airlift becomes available, but I believe delaying purchasing an airline ticket any more doesn't make any financial sense. Naval Aviation Leadership is aware of what has been done in the past and are looking at all of the options/possibilities, but I believe everyone's expectations need to be realistic. This is going to be a tremendous Tailhook this year and you don't want to miss it.
3. Please take the time to take the THA survey. Here’s the LINK. I know JR sent out the link to every member, but I would like to drumbeat his efforts here and ask you pass this along to your local members. We can't fix it or improve it if we don't know about it. This is your association, so please take the few minutes to take the survey. We have all been receiving feedback since FAM-1, so constructive and brutally honest feedback is expected.
4. Please update your contact info. I receive several kicked back emails every month due to having out of date email addresses with contact information. If you have a new ISP, moved recently, or changed employers, you might fall into this category. Just like when you checked into a new command, please take the few minutes to update your recall. If in doubt, we will also provide the opportunity to update your info at the Membership Booth at Hook this year. We can even remind you when your membership expiration is. If in doubt, check with the SDO at the Membership Booth!
5. The 5-Year membership price has been reduced and we expect to have a Sequestration Impact Lifetime Membership price for those in attendance at Hook this year. Please come on by the Membership Booth.
6. We are planning on accepting questions for Saturday's Flag Panel from Thursday afternoon until 1200 Saturday. We do not want to take away from the live Q&A Saturday, but we understand some folks cannot be there Saturday and have a question to ask as well as provide another avenue to present a question to the Flag Panel. There will be a collection box at the membership Booth, as well as question forms. We will accept already prepared questions as well.
7. Please pass along any thoughts/ideas for the Tailhook Strike Force.
LCDR Mike "Jockey" Lisa has volunteered to take on the task of revamping the TSF and we look forward to any inputs or volunteers.
Again, this is going to be a great Tailhook this year. From the Bug Roach Mixer being extended through 2400 Friday night to RADM "Bad Fred" Lewis moderating a Vietnam-era Fighter/Attack panel and Alvin Townley moderating "Hanoi Hilton" panel. I am standing by for any questions/comments you have.
CDR Tim Murphy
Editors Note: I did not include the Emails and Phone Numbers of the various Group Coordinators due to Spamming issues. If you would like to get in touch with any of the following, leave a comment and I will email you the information. - JC
- EA-6B Prowler Association - CAPT Jim Stoneman - Membership Coordinator
- Fist of the Fleet - Gary Kerans, "Dome" - www.fistofthefleet.org
- VA-82/86 -Tom Mercer, RADM, USN (Ret) -
- VA-113 - A-4s Viet Nam era - Reunion - VADM Bill Bowes, USN (Ret) -
- VFA-11 - Lakusta, Patrick J -
- VFC-13 Reunion - Mike Ranftle -
- CVW-1 - LT Bill "Sloth" Phillips - 75th Anniversary - email@example.com
- VF-51 and VF-111 Dinner - 5 Sept - Don Bouchoux -
- A-4 Skyhawk Association - CDR Jack Woodul, USN (Ret) -
- A-6 Intruder Association - Clyde Cain -
- A-7 Corsair II Association - Bill Minkoff - http://corsair2.us